It shouldn’t come as a shock to a heart attack survivor to face a hard time for getting approved for life insurance. But, the main point is tough, not impossible.
A heart attack survivor who follows doctor’s orders and is stable can get a life insurance policy at standard rate. The trick is to find an experienced agent who can present his/her situation properly with no unanswered questions.
What kind of questions a heart attack survivor may face?
- When was he diagnosed with a heart disease?
- Does he consult a doctor frequently?
- What were the reasons behind the heart disease?
- What kind of treatment did he receive?
- What is the condition of his heart now?
The worst mistake would be to conceal information. There would be a medical examination in which the truth will come out.
What can you do to get a life insurance policy?
Here are a few steps you can take to get a life insurance policy even after a heart attack:
1. Get everything in writing: Submit documents related to your cardiac history, diagnosis, medical treatment, and surgeries to the insurance agent. Tell him about the date and time of your heart attack. Narrate the factors that lead to heart attack.
2. Get a letter from your doctor: Request your doctor to give you a personalized letter where he has written about the steps you have taken to improve your health condition. If you have joined a health club to reduce weight, then ask the doctor to mention it in your letter. If you have stopped smoking, then also ask the doctor to include this information in the letter.
3. Say ‘goodbye’ to smoking: The best step you can take to qualify for life insurance is quit smoking. Smoking and tobacco products increase the chances of heart attack and cancer. Cigarettes can lead to life-threatening health problems.
The probabilities of heart disease decrease by 50 percent within a year of quitting smoking. This may help you get a life insurance policy.
Know more: Life insurance: Myths and facts
4. Reduce your weight: Obesity puts an extra pressure on heart. The risk of heart attack, cholesterol, high blood pressure increases when your weight is 20 percent more than the normal weight. So, join a gym and do regular exercise to shed pounds from your body. Your heart’s condition will become better once you shed at least 10 pounds from your body.
5. Be happy: Stress can have a deadly impact on your body. It can pull up your blood pressure level and raise the probabilities of a heart attack. Strong emotions like pain and anger can trigger a stroke. Plus, people often resort to smoking or drinking to cope up with stress. But, .
Honestly speaking, it’s hard to say how much you need to pay for a life insurance after surviving a heart attack. However, you can get an idea from this example.
A 42-year-old man has survived 2 minor heart attacks in his life, although not recently. He has quit smoking and the result of his medical tests reflects that his health condition is better. This man will get a life insurance policy at regular rate instead of regular plus or preferred.
Don’t miss out: Life Insurance Scams to Watch Out For