Going spring broke is not an option, but if you want to have fun with your family this spring break, it would be a good idea to create a plan that can balance your aspirations with your budget.
Go off the beaten path
It is a well known thing: famous spring break destinations are quite demanding, financially wise, so it is never a good thing to splurge by taking your family on a trip that you cannot really afford. , for instance, are known for being , especially during spring break.
What are the alternatives? For starters, you can , packed with museums, parks and shopping venues. Since these destinations are not taken by the frenzy that is often equaled to spring break, they will not be taxing on your trip budget.
Quick tip: in advance to see how you can save on your hotel stays, restaurant meals and so on. Planning ahead can truly help you save a lot of money, and you and your family will be able to have fun without overspending.
can also be a . Ski resorts, or summer resorts do not have the same prices during off season, so they can be used for affordable spring breaks spent with your family.
Cut down your travel expenses
Is it too expensive to board the entire family on the plane and get to your chosen destination? There are various means of transportation that are not as expensive as flying. You will have to be a bit creative with planning ahead, but this is one important portion of your spring break trip expenses that you can greatly reduce.
in itself, as it will allow your kids to see new places that they could not have seen when traveling by air.
are another , especially if you are heading . Since many summer destinations that can be a good choice for spring break have ports, this option is not that difficult to take. Check to see what cruises can take you to the places you are aiming for and do the math. You will see that this option is more budget friendly than you think, and also more entertaining.
However, if dodging paying airline companies to get where you want to go, there are still a few things you can do to reduce expenses. , , and can help you in flight tickets for the entire family.
Spring break doesn't have to be only about the beach
Not everyone wants to hit the beach during spring break. You and other members of your family may not be big fans of this type of entertainment, so it should not be difficult to focus your attention on other activities for this time of the year.
There are plenty of alternatives to consider, if that's the case. to get you started. Outdoor vacation packages are often offered by travel agencies, so it is worth checking their special deals for families with kids.
Still, if you prefer the beach, try an all inclusive resort. This way, your expenses will be all paid in one go, and the only money you will have with you will go on extras, and not on things you really cannot live without.
, either. They are a good choice for families, because they usually provide all the amenities needed for doing your own cooking, so you can reduce expenses in this manner.
7 affordable cities for spending spring break with the family
Since one of the ideas presented above was visiting larger cities during spring break, here is a short list:
- Washington, DC - Packed with museums, galleries and entertainment venues, this is one great destination to try out. Spring break also happens in the same time with the , so you and the kids can enjoy the fireworks, a nice parade, and various cultural performances.
- Sanibel Island, Florida - While the destination in itself is likely to be packed with vacationers, you will find plenty of affordable accommodations here. , and you will be able to book your stay in advance, if you do a bit of research on available accommodations.
- Ochos Rios, Jamaica - All-inclusive resorts are abundant in Ochos Rios, so you will not have a tough time finding places. The most popular will be, of course, taken by , but you can easily find locations offering plenty of kids' activities that will make your vacation all worth the trouble.
- Seattle, Washington - If the name of the game is urban fun for you, then Seattle will make for a great destination for your planned spring break. , as well as the many tourist attractions, like the Space Needle, will keep you and your children entertained.
- Willemstad, Curacao - Do you think this destination is too exotic for your wallet? As long as you prefer an , you will have . , from the tastiest cocktails for adults, to the most entertaining activities for kids, and all .
- Montreal, Quebec - Combining old European flair with avant-garde entertainment, Montreal is a less known, but still great destination for spring break. Visiting the old city will take you back to a time when life had a slower pace. While in Montreal, .
- Playa Del Carmen, Mexico - While Cancun is the place where the rowdiest packs gather, Playa Del Carmen is the more refined alternative that families with kids prefer for spring break. , as well as .
Kurt Jacobson is a snowboarding enthusiast with a background in real estate. Having moved 11 times in the past nine years, he thrives on helping others learn from his experiences. When he's not out shredding the mountain, he writes about all things home related for the website HouseHunter.co.