Labor Day holiday weekend is just around the corner. This is perhaps the most awaited summer indulgence for you! The 3-day holiday offers a relaxing treat, and everyone wants to have a fun-filled country roll activities with family. It is the perfect time to plan for an entertaining and compact getaway with family.
Here are few glimpses of your budget-friendly enjoyment, which you can plan during the Labor Day long weekend.
Labor Day budget-friendly getaways
Plan a local trip
Try to explore your local areas on this Labor Day vacation. Sometimes, you skip all the richness of your local surrounding and plan an expensive tour to other states. Try to be a tourist in your city and experience the native essence along with saving time and money on fuel, gas, and foods. State parks are good vacation destinations for those who are planning for a long drive. You can also stay at campsites for real fun. Go through your local newspaper or download apps (Pocket Ranger) to find out a park, a place to camp where you can spend a relaxing and fun- filled vacation.
Grab the best deals
Browse online for special offers on rental cars, airfare, etc. and grab the best deals. You can find last minute deals on various items social media (Facebook, twitter, mobile apps). Some travel sites like Orbitz, Travelocity and Travelzoo offer affordable Labor Day packages. They have offers on airfare, hotel, along with certain activities like sailing, water rafting, etc. You can easily spend a fun-filled and adventurous Labor Day holiday with your family.
Be open to the right options
Plan your trip in the midweek instead of the weekend. Thus you can avoid sky-high charges on flights and lodging in the weekend. On the other hand, you can also avoid crowd and traffic in stations and airports. So, be open for such options especially if you're traveling with kids. Do not stick to a specific hotel and location. Doing so, you can enjoy without splurging much.
Enjoy the weather
Visit a summer camp with your family to enjoy traditional camp activities such as horseback riding, archery, climbing a tower, fishing, and so on. However, search for campsites that are available at a relatively cheaper rate. It is one of the best ideas to spend some exclusive time with your family.
Try to carry less and avoid overweight luggage fees while traveling. Be organized while packing for the trip and trim your luggage according to your trip and activities. Check out whether or not your airlines allow free carry-on baggage, and plan accordingly.
Taste local cuisine
Avoid pricey hotel food and drinks; instead, taste the local cuisine in your vacation. Visit local cafeteria and coffee shop to have breakfast and coffee. You can try street food to taste the local flavor.
Enjoy within your means
I always recommend enjoying within your means. Sometimes an expensive trip can overburden you financially. Try to afford an enjoyable, rejuvenating and relaxing trip with your family to revive your energy instead of indulging into expensive sightseeing activities.
Labor Day activities for kids
- Plan a play date at your place - Your children will love the idea if you organize a play date with your children’s friends. Select a theme and you can organize the party at your basement. All you have to do is organize some games and plan a pizza and soft drinks party.
- Take your child to the nearby museum - The Labor day weekend can be a good opportunity to take your children to the local museum. They will enjoy as well as learn new things.
Labor Day activities for adults
- Organize a pool party - If you live at a place where the weather is not chilled yet, you can organize a pool party with your friends. A pool party with an open air barbeque can be a real enjoyment.
- Plan shopping with friends - Plan a get together with friends at a shopping destination. The outlet shopping malls can be a good idea. You can take advantage of the Labor day discounts without splurging much. Moreover, most of these places have food joints where you can enjoy a lunch or dinner with your friends.
Labor Day activities for seniors
- Throw a retro party - You can throw a party themed around 50 or 60 and watch your near and dear ones relive your old days. Set the era by playing the music of 50s and 60s.
- Spend a day in the lap of nature - You can spend a day with your parents and/or grandparents at the local nature park and enjoying the flora and fauna. You can plan activities like boating, fishing, or simply a walk in the greens.
Labor Day Event Highlights at some places in 2016
1 - 4, 2016
|Jazz Festival||Live musical performance||Free admission||Millennium Park and Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, Illinois|
|West Indian Day Parade||Colorful parade||Free admission||Main roads of Brooklyn, New York City, New York|
2 - 5, 2016
|Begonia Festival||Sand Sculpture Contest, Flower Mural & Movie at the Beach||Free admission||Stockton Avenue, Capitola, California|
|Annual Labor Day Capitol Concert||Concert by the National Symphony Orchestra||Free admission||West Lawn, US Capitol, Washington DC|
|LA County Fair||Annual Event - Myriad of attractions like musical shows, contests, wine tastings, exhibitions, etc.||$14-$20 adult, $8-$12 child; $15 parking; $30 season pass||Fairplex, Los Angeles, California|
October 2, 2016
|Magical Dining Month||More than 70 of Central Florida's top restaurants featuring 3-course Prix Fixe Dinner Menus||$33 per person||Selected restaurants in Orlando, Florida|
Take advantage of the summer weather and enjoy the Labor Day holiday to the fullest. Eat well, dress well and have fun. Share the happiness with your family, friends, kids and stretch some dollar as well.