Tough job market and high credit card fees have forced people to tighten their budget for the festive season. In fact people are coming up with clever ideas to save their hard earned dollars for holiday shopping. Ideas such as frugal living, giving homemade goodies and taking advantage of credit card reward points are circulating amongst the households. However, if you want to think out of the box and know about some unusual ways to save money for holidays, then go through the following sub sections of the article.
1. Create a 'holiday account': Save money for continuous 2 months and deposit in a special account called "holiday account". You need to cut down your expenses for 2 months. This does not mean that you've to stop paying your bills. This only implies that you have to stop spending on the useless or unnecessary items. You carry your own lunch to your office. You use reusable water bottles. You just avoid throwing parties for these 2 months.
2. Promote and use your skills: Do you have a special skill or talent? Can you cook sumptuous dishes? Can you beautifully decorate a room? If yes, then there is no need to hit a store and purchase gifts for your loved ones. You can just re-design the room of your mother and make her happy. If you're a web developer, then you can create a website and design it smartly for your friend. Your friend can use this website to make money online later on.
3. Reuse electrical devices: Earn reward points by re-using electrical devices. You can participate in various recycling programs wherein you can give old cell phones, cameras, gadgets, etc. in return of points for buying items. Re-using electrical gadgets not only helps you save bucks but also allows you to protect Mother Nature. As per the reports of the Environment Protection Agency, old electrical devices lead to around 3 million wastes in the nation every year.
4. Reuse extra holiday gifts: Have you received gifts in the previous year? Did you use all the gifts? If you've some extra gifts such as decorative items, bags, wrapping papers, etc, then use them in this holiday season. Don't throw them in the trash. Rather, give some of the unused gifts to your friends and family in this Christmas.
5. Change the celebration dates: Christmas is on 25th December. On the other hand, the New Year is on 1st November. It is not written anywhere that you've to throw celebration parties on these days only. You can throw one party after Christmas and before the New Year. You can get discounts on the after Christmas sales. This will help you save a lot of money. You can purchase loads of gifts for your cousins and friends without spending a fortune.
Festive season is the time to celebrate. It is the time to share happiness and gifts. However, it is also the time to restrict yourself from making useless purchases. Use your mind and money carefully during the holidays. This will help you enjoy the holidays to the maximum limit without wasting money.