In today’s world, it is very difficult to have a job all the time. You might have to leave a job or get laid off and try searching for a new job. However, getting a good job is not always easy. But there are few things you should do when you are unemployed. Go through this article to know what you should do when you are unemployed.
- Brush up or advance your skills – Have you ever wanted to advance your skills but didn’t have enough time to do so? This is the time to advance your skills. There are several free resources online such as, tutorials, videos and e-books, from where you can keep your skills current. And, do keep practicing your skills so that you’re confident when you attend an interview and can prove yourself when you get a good job.
- Start freelancing or take up a temporary job – If you have the mindset that you should only do a full-time job, then come out of that. Freelancing is a great way to boost your skills and you will have an income to sustain yourself. Moreover, you can also add the experience in your resume and build a professional network, too. You can also take a contract assignment for the time being. If you can impress your managers or the people who hired you, they might recommend you for a permanent job in their organization or elsewhere.
- Look for a suitable volunteer work – Do you know that about 60% of the hiring managers are of the view that volunteer work makes you more marketable? By volunteering for something, you are telling your potential employers that money if not the ultimate thing for which you work. When people hire someone, they look for a person with character and integrity, so you might be called by someone with a good job offer for you.
- Star a business of your own – If you have time and money, then you can think of starting a business of your own. By having a business of your own, you can choose to work at your own time; moreover, you can also work part-time or full-time, depending on whether or not you want to do a job in some other organization. Even if you get a good job, you will have some additional income from your business.
- Rework on your resume – This is the time to rework on your resume and make your resume more marketable. Read your resume and edit it. Use keywords that suit the job you’re searching. This is because most employers use electronic scanning devices to screen through resumes. Therefore, tailor your resume for the position you are applying, and make sure you use exact words from the specific job posting.
- Start your own blog – You will be surprised to know that professional blog is a good way to market yourself to your employers. By starting a professional blog, you can project yourself as an expert in your field. It will also help you remain updated and you can also get noticed by potential employers.
Networking is the need of the time. So, when you are unemployed and looking for a good job, reconnect with your old contacts – your professors, business acquaintances, friends, and let them know the specifics of the job role you’re looking for. You should also use social media to connect with new people, especially in your industry. Also follow up with them so that your name comes into their mind next time they come to know about a job role which you’re looking for, and you might get your dream job.